MYTH IN TRANSIT: HONG KONG

By Myth Reid - July 09, 2017

(DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A TRAVEL GUIDE.)

A post shared by Myth Reid (@mythreid) on


String of Firsts—that's how I envisioned this whole trip to Hong Kong would be. It would brim with things I would be doing for the first time. Of course, I expected the jitters to come with me, uninvited. More than anything, however, I was stoked to take on the experience in the hopes to come home with a better understanding of the world and of myself.

FIRST INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT

It's not my first time to travel alone. After I graduated High School in Bohol, I traveled on my own to Davao City by sea and by land taking with me whatever I could remember from my previous trips to the city when somebody was with me. But it's my first time to visit another country and find my way there ALONE.

Everything was pretty much planned out. I even brought my hand-written itinerary with me, but as per usual, the universe has a funny way of re-arranging things. Therefore, I ended up not following everything on my list.

I arrived at the Hong Kong International Airport at 8:00 in the evening completely clueless of how to even find a ride to get to my hostel. What I did was just follow where most people would go thinking that they can only head to the exit. The good thing is that Hong Kong is filled with signs that can help you go wherever you want to go. Signs can only do so much, though. You also have to do a great deal of observation to figure out how things are done, especially in a place where verbal communication is a bit tricky.

As a first timer, the easiest option to pick was to take the Airport Express (which I would later find out isn't the most practical.) I followed what the customer service representative told me which was to get off at the Kowloon Station, and take the free shuttle service to Tsim Sha Tsui (where my hostel is.) I worried about how to even know I'm already at the Kowloon Station until I found these:




After more than an hour, I was already at the Kowloon station. The challenge then was knowing which shuttle to take. I asked questions, of course, but they responded in Chinese, so I basically just came aboard a random shuttle where I read a familiar road which to my remembrance is close to my hotel. I thought perhaps I could just ask the driver to drop me off at the bus stop near Hai Phong Road, but when I did, the driver told me, "Just get off at TST, and you'll be fine." And fine, I wasn't. When I felt like we were just doing a merry-go-round, I decided to just get off at some random bus stop and ask my way around.

It took me two hours to finally find my hostel with my feet, and my neck, and my back hurting from all the walking and the stuff I was carrying around with me. I was so close to crying because even the taxi drivers would refuse to let me ride, saying that Hai Phong Road is way too close. Talk about being overwhelmed.

FIRST TIME IN A HOSTEL

Through out the entire duration of my trip, I got to stay in two different hostels. I wanted to try everything so that I know which hostel to come back to next time, and so that I can have recommendations.

On my first two nights, I stayed at Urban Pack Hostel which is located at the Hai Phong Mansion along Hai Phong Road. My stay there was comfortable enough that come morning, my neck pain was already gone. It was cool seeing people from different countries gather around in the common area, strangers sharing not only rooms, but stories and laughter. I didn't get the chance to actually mingle with them myself though because I was too tired to do that. I recommend staying at Urban Pack Hostel because the people there are accommodating, and can speak English. The person who helped me check in—which I think was the owner—was a Filipino. Instead of collecting 100 HKD key card deposit, he just asked for my I.D so that I could use the money. The hostel is really close to attractions like Hong Kong Cultural Center, Hong Kong Space Museum, The Clock Tower, and Avenue of Stars. If you also plan on going to central Hong Kong, you can conveniently take the Star Ferry at 2 HKD. The pier is just a few steps away from the Clock Tower. (Book Urban Pack Hostel here.)











The second hostel I stayed at is called Hong Kong Hostel. It's located along Paterson St. in Causeway Bay. If you're into high-end shopping, Causeway Bay is the place to go. I don't recommend staying at this Hostel, however, because some of their units are located in another building which makes it inconvenient for you if you wanna ask or request something from the lobby since hostel rooms don't usually have phones in them. For my case, I had to go back and forth twice to the lobby because the adapters I rented weren't working. (LESSON: Bring your own adapter.) It was also hard to communicate to the staff because they speak very little English. The only positive thing about staying there is that it was close to a 24-hour grocery center, the FOOD Walk, the FASHION Walk, the MTR station, and the E11 bus stop where I took my ride on the way to the airport. (Paid only 21 HKD instead of 100 HKD had I taken the Airport Express again.)


FIRST TIME TO GO TO CHURCH
IN ANOTHER COUNTRY

To be honest, I don't remember the last time I went to church to attend a mass. I didn't think my first-time-in-a-long-time would take place in Hong Kong. A relative, Ate Evelyn, who's been working in Hong Kong for barely 8 years took me to St. Joseph's Church. This is what she and the other catholic overseas workers would do on their days-off. It's a long hike from the pier where she picked me but definitely a hike to remember as this was not such a tourist-y thing to do on an international trip. I was just happy to go nonetheless because it was my chance to thank God as it was going to be my birthday the day after.

(From the pier, you can just walk to St. Joseph's Church. You can pass by the Hong Kong Observation Wheel.)
(The Peak Tram is just a couple of steps away from St. Joseph's Church. You can choose to take the tram to go Victoria Peak. We took the bus.)

FIRST TIME TO SEE FIREWORKS

IT TOOK 24 YEARS BEFORE I COULD SEE FIREWORKS! I'm such a loser, I know. Fireworks display isn't a thing in Bohol, or at least, in our municipality. On Christmas Day or New Year's Day celebrations, we were content with a showdown of firecrackers. When I came to Davao, the firecracker ban is already pre-existent, and I haven't really been anywhere else on special occasions that would usually call for such spectacle. So, NO CHANCE. At all. All good things come to those who wait, though, yeah? FINALLY. MY FIRST FIREWORK DISPLAY EXPERIENCE.

It's even extra special because not only did it happen on my 24th birthday, but it's also during the 20th year anniversary celebration of Hong Kong's Special Administrative Region Establishment Day. (And we watched it under the rain. So, I was friggin wet.)

What's even better? The second round—a more magical fireworks display in Hong Kong Disneyland. I had this one on my itinerary so I was really looking forward to it. And boy, it was amazing! With the music, and a slideshow of clips from Disney movies projected on the walls of the Disney castle, it brought me so much feels. It's Disneyland's end-of-day offering that, for me, served like an invitation to come right back the soonest.

And I'm definitely coming back! The only thing left in consideration is the finances. But don't get me wrong, Hong Kong is not such an expensive city. I just happen to be a poor lad with lofty dreams. If you're planning to go on your first solo trip, and you're on a budget, I think Hong Kong is the safest option. That's not an expert opinion, of course, since this is only my first, but my experience was exciting enough to make me arrive to such recommendation.

Now, my list of firsts does not end there. It also includes:
  • first time to be mistaken as Chinese, or a Hong Kong local,
  • first time to ride a double-decker bus
  • first time to ride an indoor roller-coaster,
  • first time to eat in a McDonalds store offshore,
  • first time to eat curry fish balls,
  • first time to eat egg puffs,
  • first time to drink a Chinese-version of Iced Coffee,
  • first time to eat Thai Food, and drink Thai Iced Coffee,

  • first time to Meet Iron Man,


  • first time in a 3D-Art gallery,

...and many more!

All of these things have provided me a certain level of fulfillment, and they all led me to realize that life is too short to say no to the adventure of trying new things for the first time. Now, more than ever, I am more keen on living on the side of thrill...

...because sometimes, comfort is boring.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments