Myth in Transit: MANILA

By Myth Reid - July 31, 2017

It's my first time to go around Manila. The only other time I got to be there was when I had connecting flights to Cebu. Whenever I'd think about going to Manila, I'd get overtaken with paranoia given the way people talk about its dangers  So, paranoid was what I've been the whole time I was there. But I took it as part of the adventure. Anyway, like one author said: "We can't always be safe. We can only be strong."

Good news is I got out there ALIVE. There were a couple encounters that proved Manila isn't the friendliest place, but perhaps if we counter it with patience and humility, then we'll be fine.

Now, on to a few details of my trip:









If there was one place I always fancied to go, it was BGC. Through Instagram, I learned that BGC has a lot of IG-worthy spots—from picturesque landscapes to wall arts, and dainty cafés.

I didn't get to dine there, however. I just grabbed some iced tea from Starbucks after taking some shots, watched people pass by  and went to my high school friend's apartment in Las Piñas to have lunch FOR FREE.

Thankfully, when I was there, the traffic wasn't as horrible as I expected; probably because of the holiday. So there was not much to complain about. The waiting game was real though when we had to wait for the jeepneys to fill. But that was it.

My high school classmates—Renalyn and Genaro—and I spent the entire afternoon catching up while eating ICE CANDY! It tasted like HOME.

(Excuse my hair. Haha.)

Later that same day, we also decided to go to Luneta Park. I am happy that now I'm able to say that I've been there 'coz I feel like the only person who hasn't.





 After everything, I checked in to Kabayan Hotel. I was excited to do so because I've always wanted to try the Kapsule Room.



It was cool. It was nothing fancy but comfortable enough for a quick trip. You have your own electric socket. The WiFi is fast. You have blinds that you can lock from inside so nobody can sneak a peek. You have a big locker. I loved it! Got the room for only PHP 850, and it already comes with free breakfast.



The Kapsule Room was so cozy that I wanted to stay there longer, but I was already booked for a condo unit the next day [through AirBnB]. Another high school classmate, Ivah Michelle, picked me up and helped me look for Pinecrest Residential Resort. The condominium is located at the New Port City, Pasay. I didn't get to take photos of the unit I rented, but click this link to the AirBnB listing in case you want a preview:

Here's some photos I managed to get at the place, though:




My stay at Pinecrest Residential Resort was a vacation on its own. I didn't have to be somewhere far to feel like I'm having the time of my life.

The evening of my second day in Manila, I met some other high school classmates. It was a little reunion. Nostalgic enough to bring the feels in.



It wasn't such an eventful stay because Manila wasn't really my main destination at that time, but I have to say at least that I feel safer about coming back next time. It was such a cheap trip. So, if you're planning a budget to trip to Manila as a first-timer, take note of the same places I went to. You can go there and snap good shots #forthegram FOR FREE.

That's it for now. See you on my next trip!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments