E-PIC FAIL: Part 1

By Myth Reid - August 09, 2017

While traveling alone is one thing we all look at as a must-do, or as an item to tick off from a bucket list, we can't deny the fact there are a couple of things that make us think whether or not it's such a good idea. Personally, I don't think too much about whatever difficulties solo travel poses. The very thing that bothers me most is how to take good photos of myself on my own. I'm one of those people who are not as fond of taking selfies as most Filipinos are. I prefer to put more emphasis on a background instead of my face, and the story the whole photograph creates.

I know there are ways to actually get around this one, but sometimes, when you're traveling alone—especially if it's your first time—taking good photos is not top priority... until you check your photos and they're actually really bad.

Because of that, I came up with an idea of creating a new segment on my blog that will feature photos from my solo travels that I wish were taken better. Of course, we all understand why taking good picture with ourselves in it is important, because as they say, if it's not on social media, it didn't happen.

So, here's Part 1 featuring the photos from my recent trip to Hong Kong.

1. A Hundred Flowers
(Hong Kong Cultural Centre)

An old lady asked me to take a picture of her right on this staircase. She traveled all the way from Mainland China just to see this. In exchange, she offered to take my picture, too. 

Take 1:


She asked me if the shot was okay, but of course I couldn't bitch around and say, "No, it isn't." Haha. But she offered to take my photo again, which was pretty much the same. I didn't complain 'coz first, my phone camera is really crappy. I couldn't ask her to take my photo using the DSLR 'coz using it was too complicated. Explaining it to a non-English speaker would mean breaking the back of a beast.

Take 2:


Just a little trivia:

This staircase is just one of the installments of the outdoor art project called "City Dress Up: Blossoming Stairs" which was launched as part of the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Hong Kong's Special Administrative Region establishment, and the 55th anniversary of the Hong Kong Museum of Art where these motifs of flowers were sourced. 

This floral scroll is called A Hundred Flowers. It is said to be the longest and most exquisite surviving artwork of Lingnan school progenitor JU Lian. (What a coincidence!) It incorporates almost 60 types of flowers common to Guangdong.

2. Kowloon Public Pier

The next photograph is one of those I took myself. There was not a lot of people in the place. So, I had to think of a way I can take a photo of the place with myself in it. Self-timer! Never mind that it was so hot, and it was getting me sweaty, and greasy, and what not. I knew I just had to do it #forthegram. But after all the hard work? FAIL!


The next photos were taken in the afternoon. I had to head back to my hostel 'coz my stomach was so upset that I spent at least 3 hours curling up in my bed. Because I wasn't satisfied with the photos taken in the morning, and I didn't want my first day to go to waste, I had to tell myself I was fine. So, I went back. I found this Asian couple who asked me to take a picture of them. Of course, the pictures were awesome. Haha. I thought they'd take good pictures of me too 'coz both of them had DSLRs slung around their necks, only to no avail.

Take 1:


Take 2:


Better, but still. 😅

3. Disneyland

Ladies and Gents, this is Disneyland. This was going to be the highlight of my trip. So, while I was on the train, I told myself that there's no room for being shy. If there's a need for me to ask help just to get those good pictures, I would ask for help.

There's this group of girls who also asked me to take a picture of them. They were pretty demanding, to be honest, but I loved taking pictures of them 'coz they wore such nice OOTD's. In revenge, I tried to be demanding. I asked one of them to take my picture, and another to hold the DSLR. Haha. But what can I say? They have interesting perspective.

Take 1:


Take 2:


The shot below was taken by an old guy who was the first person to actually offer help. It would have been dramatic with all the movement in the background. Unfortunately, he forgot to adjust the focus.


The last shot was taken by a Disneyland personnel. I thought perhaps she'd do a nice job 'coz she works there. She had probably been asked this favor a million times before. In the end, she remained loyal to Disneyland. The Disney Castle is really stunning. 


There you have it. The experience was really hilarious that I probably won't get tired telling the story. Getting to have beautiful pictures in a solo travel is truly plausible, but the interaction you also get to have with the people around you makes the trip more memorable.

So, if you have an upcoming trip, my advice is to first decide what matters to you, and then, go. JUST GO!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments